Johnny Chow

Me: "Let's eat at Johnny Chow!" Brother: "Jackie Chan??" Me: "No, I said JOHNNY CHOW!" Brother: "Oh, okay."

What comes to mind when you hear the name Johnny Chow? Asian? American? Chinese food? Martial Arts? Well, I think the name is very clever.  It's catchy and you know right away that it's Asian with a twist.  They market it as having "Amazing Asian Cuisine" and yeah I think they do. 


Johnny Chow is located at the Newport Mall, Resorts World.  It is actually managed by the same people behind Sumo Sam, John and Yoko, and Mr. Kurosawa, which are all excellent fusion restaurants.  So I am not surprised that it also has that charm and appeal plus having good fusion cuisine.  The first things you'd notice from the outside are the huge bright and colorful (almost neon) signage, the cute tables and chairs, and the waitresses dressed in sexy cheong sam and colorful wigs.  Talk about good first impressions huh.  Your eyes will definitely feast on the playful interiors and furniture.  I am particularly a fan of the chairs with Asian faces. They're so cute!

Outside Johnny Chow with the waitress in wig

Cool creative playful interior design


I love their cute chairs!

Their menu boasts of a wide variety of Asian cuisine such as Chinese, Korean, Thai, Malaysian, and a lot more! It's actually a bit overwhelming to look at the menu because there are a lot to choose from and everything looks appetizing. Yes, you'd already know how it looks because in their menu, every dish has a really big picture as well as a description of what's in it.  Very good for indecisive people and very good marketing strategy for visual people like me. The names of the dishes are also as playful unique and interesting as the ambiance.  Let me show you what we ordered....

On the table:  Eat Pray Love (Salad with crispy prawns and mandarin oranges), Tropic Thunder (Vietnamese rolls with a twist),  Jet Li Wagyu (Black peppered beef with shoestring potatoes),  Ming Dynasty (Salt and pepper oysters), Hot and Sour soup,  Emperor Wenzong (Crispy Asian chicken with barbecue sauce), Johnny Chow Fried Rice, and Goddess of the Sea (Steamed Lapu-Lapu with supreme soy sauce). We also ordered a pitcher of cold Lemongrass Tea.

Eat Pray Love Salad (P325)
Tropic Thunder (P278)


Jet Li Wagyu (P385)

Ming Dynasty (P278)

Hot and Sour Soup (P275)

Emperor Wenzong (P330)

Johnny Chow Fried Rice (P230)

Goddess Of The Sea (P495) - at least what's left of it coz I took a photo after eating sorry

Lemon Grass Iced Tea (P285)

I'm a fan of creativity so I do appreciate their dishes' naming convention.  Perhaps if I own a restaurant int he future, I'd also name my dishes in a unique way.  The more important thing however is if they achieved the same charm and creativity on the taste itself.  Well, I am happy to say they did.  The rich dynamic flavors I was expecting were present in most of the dishes.  The salad and rolls were wonderful, the Wagyu was very well seasoned with a kick of spice (might be too salty for others though),  the chicken was cooked perfectly and reminded me of Hong Kong, the Lapu Lapu was soft and juicy with just the right amount of soy sauce, and the oysters were tender and fantastic!  Even the tea, I also liked because it had mild sweetness with citrus pizzaz.  So there you go, the food did disappoint me.  As for the pricing, I think the range is average (not that affordable, but not that expensive).  If you have a tight budget, maybe it would be better to come back next time because I assure you, you would be tempted to order more than 3 dishes.  I actually wanted to order everything on the menu! 

Obviously, I enjoyed dining in Johnny Chow.  It was a feast not only for my eyes but for my taste buds as well.  I am definitely coming back for more AMAZING ASIAN CUISINE.  Thanks, Johnny Chow!